[LargeFormat] Tips on Architecture photographs

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jul 10 13:49:08 2003

If I remember the copyright law correctly, you can photograph a
building while on public property for your own personal use. If there's
a monetary gain through the use (or is it just sale?) of the
photograph, then written permission is necessary.

NYC has the attitude of "IF you can think it, we can regulate it."
I'm pretty sure there's a "Tripod permit" necessary to keep officer
O'Malley happy.  This allows the city to collect a tax on professional
photographers, while not restricting tourists.  where to get the permit
is another story.  I'd first check with Officer O'Malley, then whatever
bureau that regulates motion picture films within the city.

I also think you'll find the 210 a poor fit for NYC.  It's not wide
enough to get the entire front facade, but not long enough to pick off
interesting details more than one story up.   It might be good for an
overall shot, not of a building but of a street. It will compress the
the distant buildings more and limit the size of the cabs in the
foreground.  If you have access to a roof of a high rise, it might be
fun, but I think you'll want to go wide wider and widest.  If I were
head to NYC to shoot 4x5,  I'd take my 58mm, 65mmm wish I had a 75,
then my 90 SA f8,  I have a 120 Nikor SW that will covers 8x10, so I
might be able to shoot the Rockefeller Center from accross the street
and get it all in.