[LargeFormat] question on some enlarging lenses

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jul 6 03:58:01 2003

-------Original Message-------
From: William Wiseman <elox@hot.rr.com>
Sent: 07/05/03 10:21 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] question on some enlarging lenses

> With some other equipment, I received two enlarging lenses that I had
put away. At the time, I was not expecting to ever go to large
format.......

Anyway, my questions would be, of the following two lenses;

Rodenstock Omegaron 135mm f4.5

Schneider Kreuznach Comparon 150mm f5.6

1. Which, if either, would you recommend for 4x5 negatives?

2. OR junk both and get something else?

3. Any pros/cons from someone who has actually used either lens?

Both appear to be in excellent condition with no faults. They will be
used on my Omega D2V, Aristo cold light head and most of the work will
be at 11x14 with some 8x10 and maybe 3 or 4 16x20's a year.

TIA.

JeffW.

  I'm not quite sure of the Omegaron but the Comparon is a Triplet type. I think the Omegaron is also a Triplet, made for Omega by Rodenstock. Both are economy models. They may be quite good when stopped down to around f/8 or f/11. The biggest difference between these and more expensive lenses will be in the corners at larger formats. They are worth checking out but I suspect that any of the Plasmat type enlarging lenses will have better performance.
  Both should cover 4x5. 150mm is the diagonal for 4x5, 135mm is often used because it allows larger prints with enlargers with short support columns.
  One problem with any shorter focal length lens is the drop off of illumination in the corners. This is the same for the more expensive lenses too. I use a 135mm Schneider Componon-S, which is a very good lens indeed, but must burn in the corners of full frame prints. If I don't the lighter corners are quite obvious. It is an inconvenience but no more.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA