[LargeFormat] Zeiss Barrel/Lens Info

Peter Roody largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 26 23:09:19 2003

Hi,

I am posting a little late on an earlier thread because it lost it's
direction.

I have some additional info on the Roman Numeral designations on Zeiss
Barrels.  As was posted, this indicates barrel size (diameter).  The
largest size is a XVIII (182 mm outside diameter). My 1910 catalog
indicates 19 different diameters with 28 barrel sizes based on diameter
and length.   When a subscript number appears, it indicates a different
barrel length for the same diameter.  For instance, a IV with a
subscript "1" is 33 mm long while a IV with a subscript "2" is 23 mm
long.

I also own a Series VI triple convertible lens (310 mm/660 mm/f450 mm)
so these were made.  The single lens consisted of 3 cemented elements
at F14.  Combined, my lens has a maximum aperture of 9.4.  They were
first issued in 1893 and the last manufacture date for the Series VI
was 1894.  They were replaced with the Series VII that was introduced
in 1895.

Hope this info is useful,

Pete