[LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel lenses

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 25 18:00:48 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@rcn.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:57 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel
lenses

> Yes, it is a tough case. I wonder why? Bail is not
remanded, it's set. At
> least in English. Well, we'll see how well he does with
the rest of the
> trial.  As long as he can keep his monstrous ego from
appearing to the jury,
> they may have a chance. It is however ironic that both
attorney and client
> share libertarian values and attorney Small, in
particular, derides
> liberals.  We'll see what hearing the good people of The
Commonwealth of
> Virginia give to him, especially if they manage to get a
look at Bob Shell's
> artwork.  But they're off to a good start. As a friend of
mine remarked,
> with a line like:
>
> 'He (Shell) has a sterling international reputation as a
photographer,'

> he's already convicted.

  Remanded means that its given back at some point. The
bondsman will still charge you a fee. My point was that
getting caught up in a criminal case is very expensive
regardless of guilt or innocence.
  I will be blunt and say that you have no idea whatever of
Marc's ability as a lawyer and should not cast aspersions on
him. What he has undertaken is an indication of his
humanity.
  The justice system works only when very dedicated people
MAKE it work, I believe Marc is one of those people. I think
what you see as "ego" is a sort of toughness one needs to be
an effective litigator: you will find the same quality in
surgeons and fighter pilots.
  I have no idea of what you mean by libertarian values
except that in small case they are among those which
inspired the founders of this country. Even some
Libertarians have libertarian values.
  We posses very few facts in this case and those we have
are filtered through the prosecution, the police, and the
press. I think it is too early to make any judgement on any
aspect of this case whatsoever.
  If you have never served on a jury on a criminal case I
recommend it as one of life's more educational experiences.
  I will not respond further to this thread and suggest it
be cut off.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA