[LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel lenses

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 25 11:44:33 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <LNPhoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Roman numerals on Zeiss barrel
lenses

> The markings are too good for an owner to add it, and
besides mine came
> from Ohio and the other guy is in California.  What are
the odds one
> man owned all of these lenses at one time?
>
> >   FWIW the No.4 Series VII Protar is 35cm or 14 inches
FL.

> Interestingly enough, the largest lens in my C-set is the
above 35cm
> lens and this is the barrel to it.  Fluke?

  Ooooohh BARRELS!!!!   Its the BARREL size, indicating what
size filters, lens hoods, or, in the case of process lenses,
reversing prisms it takes.
  My catalogues do not show the sizes in terms of dimentions
but show that filters and lens hoods were available in
perhaps a dozen sizes, all indicated with roman numerals.
  Note that Convertible Protars were _not_ all the same cell
size. Cells with focal length ratios greater than about
1:1.5 were not recommended (although they will work) or
shown in the combination charts. Shorter FL's came in
smaller mounts than longer FL's the reason being that they
were never used together.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA