[LargeFormat] Calumet vs Toyo

Peter De Smidt largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 20:03:24 2003

> Now for the economics question.  Why are large format
> cameras, such as the
> Linhof Kardam M and the Gandolfi Varian L1A I have, so much
> more expensive
> than point and shoot cameras (which I don't have)?  The
> large format cameras
> don't have bells and whistles, they are merely ways of
> positioning a lens
> and film with respect to each other.  The p&s s have lots
> of bells and
> whistles: automatic focussing, automatic exposure, film
> advance, etc.
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Dan K.

Large format cameras tend to be custom made in very small numbers by
skilled craftspeople.   All of the employer's costs must be recouped
(along with any profit) on a very small number of units.  Point and
shoots are turned out by the thousands in large factories. The
development costs, while no doubt much greater than for large format,
are spread over the massive amount of units sold.  This accounts for
the price difference.

Peter