[LargeFormat] Intro & Camera [now Calumet vs Toyo]

Jonathan Taylor largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 13:32:46 2003

>> on 6/19/03 9:55 AM, Kent Gibbs at kent_gibbs@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> I have a Cadet.  It will do anything you want to do.  You
>> will run out
>> of lens coverage before you run out of movement.  It is relatively
>> light weight (6 lbs.) and will accept the polaroid 545 holders,
>> readyload and quickload holders as well as the Calumet roll film
>> adapters.  For the money, I don't think it can be beat.
>> You could pay
>> alot more for less camera.

> on 6/19/03 10:40 AM, Peter De Smidt at pdesmidt@dotnet.com wrote:
>
> And, unfortunately, you could pay a lot less for more camera as well!
> I'm glad that you like your Cadet.  I ordered one when they first came
> out and returned it the next day.  Mine was very poorly constructed
> and had numerous ergonomic issues.  The Calumet packages with other
> cameras (The $399 One) would be a better deal, in my view.  As would
> any of the CC400 series cameras. For field cameras, check out the Shen
> Hao. You can see them at www.badgergraphic.com

I do tend to be pretty demanding of my gear. I'd rather not run out of lens
coverage or movements, but then again I really don't know my needs since I
have no LF experience. Of course landscape work typically doesn't require a
lot of movements, but I found the "freedom" of my nikon 35mm shift lens very
limiting. Also trees (old, tall ones) are a big part of my interest in
landscape work, and urban architecture is another old favorite theme, so I
think I may really end up needing both movements and coverage. Overall I
definitely want to get a camera that offers decent room for growth and will
be relatively flexible for different uses.

I would really love to hear more thoughts on Calumet vs Toyo vs ????.

You all have been a big help so far.

jt