[LargeFormat] Intro & Teaching Camera Advice

Jonathan Taylor largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 12:26:51 2003

on 6/19/03 11:32 AM, Dan Kalish at kaliushkin@att.net wrote:

> Be aware that some products sold by B&H are grey market.  A week or two ago,
> I asked the fellow in the LF section about this and he confirmed that their
> Rodenstock lenses are gray market.  If this matters to you, ask about each
> item.

I'm intimately familiar with B&H's grey market offerings. In general because
they stand behind them with their respectable service department I think B&H
grey market is a great deal. There are a few things however where I do
prefer to have the US warranty, such as complicated and expensive DSLRs.

> It's too bad you can't get used items; single sheet duplex film holders go
> for about $5 each used.

Actually we can and do buy used all the time. It's one of my favorite ways
to save on photo gear. Unfortunately tho, because everything has to be done
through our very slow purchase order process, the only vendors who are
willing to hold used items for us until the order is complete are the big
boys: B&H, Adorama, and KEH, and even they only do it reluctantly for very
large orders.

jt