[LargeFormat] Intro & Camera [now Calumet vs Toyo]

Jonathan Taylor largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 19 11:04:33 2003

> Calumet WAS selling used packages a short time ago but they went fast. One
> advantage of having Ca,umet on your vendor list is that as well as their new
> equipment (a large range of LF) they carry pretty much everything else.

Sounds like we should put them on.

> As
> to 4x5 v. 6x9, I'm not sure I'd go through all this for less than a 4x5
> negative. Remember that you will have movements, but you and your students
> will be trying to see their effect on a 6x9 space of the ground glass. Not
> too thrilling!

Good point. Sheet film is still scary (and somewhat expensive).

> There's a Calumet shop in Cambridge, Mass. Not close but
> maybe worth it for a one-off trip.

Unfortunately my summer is pretty well booked and I really need to get this
order submitted.

> Mamiya carry Toyo. Have you thought about
> finding the New England Rep for Toyo and asking her (I think it's a woman
> but I forget her name) what she can do for an educational discount? Same for
> Calumet.

Excellent idea. I do this already for our computer stuff, but I figured that
since the big boys (B&H and Adorama) don't give educational discounts nobody
else would either. I'll have to see what I can find.

Thanks again Stuart.

jt