[LargeFormat] about to take the jump

tripspud largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 13 00:30:33 2003

Hi Jeff!

      You'll also need many smaller items which add up.  Film holders,
focusing cloth, groundglass magnifier, a case or backpack, separate
exposure meter and lens shade/filter holder and filters.  If you want
to do your own black and white darkroom work there's more.

      I don't mean to discourage you or anyone.  I've had large
format experience in the past, about twenty years ago.  Recently,
I've outfitted a darkroom for a maximum size of 5x7 negatives and
a print size of 11x14 and though modest, it's been expensive and
taken more time than I thought it would.  Then, working with new
unfamilair equipment takes some time before speed and ease of
handling is reached.

      The same is true for the camera!  With large format, a routine
needs to be established by repeative use, at first without film!  So
that mistakes, like forgetting to close the shutter or pull the dark
slide, can be avoided.   It's not the creative part.  But failure to establish
a workable, repeatable routine is the biggest stumbling block for the new
large format user to overcome.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California