[LargeFormat] cult lenses

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jun 2 17:14:45 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] cult lenses

> If money were no object I would have a set of contemporary 4x5 lenses
> and some of the smaller 8x10 lenses.

Fred Picker always liked the old stuff, but I remember in one of
his Zone VI Newsletters he compared a (then) new Schneider
305mm G-Claron to his 12" Red Dot Artar.  He found the G-Claron
was sharper, had better coatings, came in a modern Copal shutter,
and cost less brand new than the Artar did used.

It seems the best 4x5 lenses I've found, from a price/performance
standpoint, are what I call old modern lenses.  Look for a Schneider
Symmar-S instead of an Apo-Symmar, or a Rodenstock Sironar
rather than an Apo-Sironar.  These lenses are outstanding and have
excellent coatings, but cost significantly less without having the coveted
"APO" designation.  Also, relatively modern Caltar wideangle lenses
are great bargains used.  They're Rodenstock Grandagons without
the name.  I found a nearly new 75f/4.5 Caltar-II N for a couple
hundred dollars that's wonderful.  The equivalent Rodenstock would
have been much more.

-Charlie