[LargeFormat] cult lenses

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jun 2 12:05:33 2003

At 11:41 6/2/03 -0400, you wrote:
>What are Dagor, Cooke, Dallmeyer, Goerz, Dallmeyer, and Wollensak lenses and
>why are they held in such reverence?  I was checking out Dagor77's auctions.
>What a character!

         Personally I dunno.  I used to have a 135mm, wide Field Ektar -
the "classic" everyoen raves about.  It was a very nice lens to be sure,
and when I bought it many moons ago, modestly priced.  Today,t heya re
quite pricey, IMO>

         I later sold it, and bought a brand new Rodenstock Sironar -N,
135mm.  IMO, having used both, the new Rodenstock is the superior lens.

         Some old lenses are wonderful.  I currently use an old 8.25 inch ,
F9 red Dot Goerz APO Artar.  Very nice lens.   Very sharp.  I picked it up
dirt cheap form a local darkroom clossing up and dismantling thier process
camera.
         But it is very dark to focus at F9,  and the price of ones on Ebay
is outrageous, IMO.  Again, for the extra money, go buy a brand new
Rodenstock or Schneider 210mm.

         My personal speculation on how these "cult lenses' got thier
reputations is guys liek me woudl find an old process camera being trashed
and junked, go in, grab the lens dirt cheap, try it out,a nd then report
"wow, this thing is great" .  And a lot of these old lenes are/were.

         You  might get some good deals off ebay, but first you ahve to
worry about the condition of ht lens - I ahve seen some real dogs at camera
shows going for a pretty penny.  then, with any used lens, you either have
to pay to have it mounted in a shutter, or have the shutter sent off for
cleaning & recalibration.

         So go to Calumet, look up the price of a brand new 210mm comapred
to any used 210mm on Ebay, factor in the above conditions, and maybe some
fo these old classics aren't always the deal they first appear to be.
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem