[LargeFormat] Re: Horseman or Gandolfi?

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 1 19:46:06 2003

> Message: 2
> From: Gavin Hubbard <ghub005@xtra.co.nz>
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:29:22 +1200
> Subject: [LargeFormat] Re: Horseman or Gandolfi?
>
> Hi Dan
>
> I'm not sure why your dealer described the Horseman as being "not in the
major leagues". In my experience the Horseman cameras are both very well
designed and very well-made. Their higher-end models are definitely in the
same league as systems produced by Sinar & Linhof etc. I personally use a
first generation 450B monorail and I've been very happy with it. Perhaps
Horseman cameras just aren't big sellers in the USA?

I know Badger doesn't carry Horseman at all; I've discovered that the field
models (45HD) doesn't have the bare minimum movement Steve Simmons considers
essential.  I'm not sure exactly what my dealer said: I paraphrased him.  I
think he believed monorails are so superior and among the field cameras, he
considers only the Wisner acceptable.

Dan

> However, this isn't particularly important as you've made an excellent
choice in the Kardan-M (and got a good deal on it). Happy shooting :-)

> Regards,
>
> Gavin
>

> Message: 3
> From: "Vincent Dobson" <manitec@bellsouth.net>
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 03:03:22 -0400
> Subject: [LargeFormat] off list
>
> Your mentioning of a Rollei SL66 brought back a painful memory.  While in
> Germany (Army) in 1969 I bought a SL66 with the 150 and 50 lens (all for
> around $600!) .  After the service an irate mother (the post office lost
the
> wedding negatives and we had to re-stage) made me turn to taking pictures
of
> trees (never complain) -- While raising a family I fell into a photography
> non use period.  I let a friend keep and use my SL66 and ended up
basically
> letting him have it in trade.  After a while he was not using it and his
> (quite stupid) wife sold the SL66 and the two lens at a yard sale, one day
> when he was gone, for a whopping $50.00!  Ten years after that I found it
in
> a pawn shop (complete with the manual and my notes therein) for sale for
> $1100.!  Unfortunately at that time I could not afford to, or I would have
> bought it back.
>
> So I'm still not watching yard sales - know I should, just not my thing.
> Can you imagine the luck of the person that found that deal.  My friends
> wife was so pleased that it had "sold" - "Gotten stolen" would be a better
> term.  Before changing to large format I loved to use my Nikkor 8008S -
and
> will pick it back up if I travel via plane --- no way to carry all of my
4x5
> gear as carry on and packing in luggage is an invitation to being stolen.
>
> Vince Dobson
> Visions In Nature
> www.VisionsInNature.com

Sounds like a bad break.  Just remember: its only material and money.  That
it wound up in a yard sale is a once-in-a-lifetime event.  Don't hold your
breath.

A camera  is a tool and as an amateur, I've taken some of my best pictures
recently with the SL66.  Now, I'd like a Lotus automobile but you can't have
everything.

Dan

> Message: 6
> From: "Diane Maher" <colrehogan@earthlink.net>
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:31:12 -0500
> Subject: [LargeFormat] RE: Re: Horseman or Gandolfi?
>
> I use a Nikkor 90 mm f/4.5, a 150 mm f/5.6 APO Schneider and a 210 mm
> f/5.6 Schneider convertible [it's 370 mm and f/12 converted and too long
> for my bellows, but I got it for the 210 mm really].
>
> According to the specs on the Toyo website, it doesn't have rear shift.
> It has rear swing, but I don't think that's the same thing.
>
> Diane

Diane: Shift is displacement right and left; swing is rotation about a
vertical axis.  If you take a step left or right that's shift; if you twirl
like a top that's swing.

Dan

> Message: 8
> From: "rstein" <rstein@bigpond.net.au>
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] RE: Horseman or Gandolfi?
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:30:40 +0800
>
> Dear Nephew Daniel,
>
>      You are in luck. Uncle Dick is here. Note I did not define what KIND
of
> luck....
>
>     You now have something in common with Uncle Dick. He too, owns a
Linhof
> monorail. In his case it is the Kardan E, but I suspect that this is the
> same as the Kardan M - just a change of designation for where it is sold.

So I've been told.  In fact, the Instruction manual says "Kardan E".

>     No matter - you have made a wise choice. The Kardan E came in as the
> best value of the Linhof range here in Australia as it seems to be aimed
at
> students and low-budget studios. As it enables you to access so much of
the
> Linhof range of gear it is a fabulously good buy.
>
>     Your bellows attach on the inside of the two standards by simply
lifting
> up the chromed spring clip and tipping the square-section plastic frames
in.
> One thing to watch for on the aft standard - the clips that hold the
ground
> glass back on are NOT the same as those that hold the bellows in. One is
> angled - the other is straight. Look on the inside of the fore standard
and
> match the clips on the aft one to it.

I figured that out already.  Thanks.

>     Your new Linhof will be a little more cumbersome than a wooden folder
> but ever so much more rigid. It will also wind out to a good length to
> accomodate a 250mm lens at a portrait distance and any of the standard
focal
> lengths out to close ups - I used mine to do flower studies in the studio
> this week and got out to 1:1 reproduction on the negatives. Remember that
if
> you do rack the lens out that far that you'll have to increase your
> exposure - I added 2/3 of a stop for mine and it was perfect.
>
>     You'll particularly like your Linhof if you start to get an itch to
add
> strange old lenses and even stranger old shutters. The big Kardan
lensboard
> vs the smaller Technika board accomodates larger diameter devices and
bulky
> things like Packard shutters. Now you can buy orphan process lenses from
> Dagor77 or dig them out of dead photo copiers yourself. Remember  - a man
> with a large format camera need never refuse another lens.
>
>     With a bit of luck you may be able to add a compendium lens shade at
the
> front of the M. I have ordered one for my E but as they are hand -grown on
> the sunny south slopes of the Karpf estate in Bavaria, I do not expect it
> any time soon. I have a feeling that the distribution and sales network of
> the Linhof firm has changed from what it once was - perhaps it is
different
> in America.
>
>     Uncle Dick

What is the price of the lens shade?  I figure that with the money saved by
getting the Linhoff rather than the Arca Swiss, I can afford necessary
accessories.

I've got the bellows attached, I've loaded 10 sheets of film, I'm ready to
go!

Dan