[LargeFormat] Horseman or Gandolfi?

Dan Kalish largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 29 22:25:19 2003

I'm new with Large Format and have been setting up a Graphic View II
(monorail) with a 210mm Rodenstock lens.  I'm already tired of it: its
enormously cumbersome and somewhat sloppy.  It's also lacking some
movements, in particular, front fall (is that the right term?) and rear rise
and fall.

I imagine it would be a real pain to take the Graphic to an outdoor site.
Therefore, I've been looking at field cameras.  I can get what I think are
good prices on a Horseman 45HD and a Gandolfi Variant 3.

Any comments and comparisons of these cameras would be appreciated.  I've
handled the Horseman and it feels light and easy to use.  It has limited
movements.  The Gandolfi appears to be a more professional camera and has
all movements, but I'd have to buy it sight unseen.

I don't know what kind of pictures I'll be taking.  I imagine all amateur,
urban landscapes.

Thanks in advance.

Dan (in NYC).