[LargeFormat] Polaroid film/ My first photos

Karl Wolz largeformat@f32.net
Sun May 25 10:50:31 2003

I use a black skirt - size 12US, as I recall.  It has a tie around the
waist which fastens it to the camera, and a zipper which is quite
convenient for slipping in a focusing device.  Works better than any
actual lens hood I've owned!

Karl Wolz

Dear Nephew John,

     Do not tease your cousin Becky! Pulling your shirt up over your
head to
cover the back of the camera is a terrible thing to do, unless you have
tattoo of a lens with the aperture centered around your belly button.

    Your point about the focussing hood is well taken - semantics,
again. We
of the more elegant school refer to it as a focussing cloth. In my case
there is absolutely nothing more elegant than a 1.5 metre square of
fraying
black broadcloth that alternately wraps around the neck in a strangle
hold
or slips off the camera while you are trying to focus. It is a wind
magnet.
I resist adding weights to it or clipping it to the back of the camera
as I
just know that if I do it will either whip round and get me in the eye
or
pull the camera and tripod over like HMS CAPTAIN in a heaving sea.

    In the studio I have resorted to a Linhof right angle viewer  -
picked
up secondhand unused by someone who had no idea what it was. It is a
godsend.

     Uncle Dick

PS: I have stopped looking through the right angle viewer during the
actual
exposure as it is hard to distinguish fine detail in the subject through
the
film holder. Much better to just look over the top of the camera.