[LargeFormat] A Modest Proposal

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Sun May 11 21:52:27 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@rcn.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] A Modest Proposal

> What about Toyo?

I've been using a Toyo 45AII for a couple years now and I've
been very satisfied with it.  It only has 13 inches of extension so
long lenses aren't its strong point, but my longest is a 210mm.
The only thing that bugs me is that the tripod mount has become
slightly loose over time.  Even when everything is tightened down,
the camera will rotate a little left and right if you bump it (or do
something as crazy as insert a film holder!).  I've been meaning to
get that fixed.

One recommendation:  If I were to do it over again, I would get
the 45AX instead of the 45AII.  The only difference is the
revolving back which I think is way overrated.  It's a nice
convenience, but not worth the $600+ premium they charge for it.
A used 45AX (or an older 45AR) can be had on eBay for less
than $1000.  If a metal field camera fits your personality, the
Toyo gets my vote.

-Charlie
 cthorsten@earthlink.net