[LargeFormat] Shooting LF in below freezing conditions

Don Feinberg largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 24 15:02:05 2003

> 10. Snow
> Guaranteed to immediately obscure anything dropped or placed on the
ground.
> Idiot strings on your gloves (or over mittens), light meter, loupe, etc
are
> a great idea. Take care not to tangle yourself in dangling lines casually
> looped around your neck, it wouldn't help if you strangled yourself with
> your light meter that snagged on your tripod the one time it didn't fall
> over in the snow.
>
> Enjoy. The only weather I don't deliberately go out in is heavy rain.

It's just wonderful when it's -20C and you just dropped your new 300mm with
the lensboard you just machined and painted into the snow.  Then you go look
for it, taking your gloves off.  You find that the snow was powdery enough
that the assembly went through the snow rapidly enough to damage the
lensboard's edge on the (unseen) rock below.  Not only do you end up with a
wet lens, but you get to make another lensboard, also.

What a wonderful experience that is ...  I truly recommend it!  (I suppose
it could have been better -- the lens could have landed on the rock directly
upon its front element, thereby preserving the new lens board.)

Don Feinberg
ducque@mindspring.com