[LargeFormat] Why are some Wollensak lenses printed backwards?

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 24 12:16:12 2003

Okay, a trivia question (to which I do not know that answer...).

Why do some Wollensak lenses apparently have the writing around the front of
the lens barrel printed in reverse - that is, a mirror image, so the writing
is all back to front?

I just bought one of these off ebay - a 15" f10 Apo Raptar. And no, it's not
a Photoshop accident - check out the second image. I vaguely remembered
seeing this before - I think it is in Steve Simmons LF book - 4 lenses in
one photo, and the Wollensak has the writing on the front (nowhere else on
it) mirrored... weird huh?

http://tinyurl.com/a8hq

http://tinyurl.com/a8hm

tim