[LargeFormat] Wollensak Extreme Wide Angle Lenses

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Mon Apr 21 10:50:38 2003

Hi Clive,

Mine is coated for one thing - as I understand it the little pink @ sign
(with a w inside) = "Wollcoated" - Wollensak's trade name for their single
coating, as well I can pick up the tint of the coating in the reflections.

Also, the 12.5 is no harder to focus, because it actually opens up to f9 (or
wider). Or at least my version in the Rapax shutter does. When it's opened
up to 12.5, you can see that the aperture is nowhere near fully open. You
just remove a tiny retaining screw and it allows the aperture to open
fully - which by the looks of it is wider even than f9. There's no problem
with a dim ground glass. I probably wouldn't take pictures at that fully
open aperture (might be a nice effect...) but it certainly helps with
focussing.

I'm shooting transparency, and as well as looking nice and sharp (I haven't
done any side by side comparisons, but it looks sharp enough under the loupe
compared to my other lenses) it's also pretty "snapy"/contrasty in its look.

It does look like it's construction is 2+2

tim