[LargeFormat] Steve Grimes Eulogy

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 18 11:16:00 2003

Steve Grimes good friend, Photographer Clive Russ, wrote the following
eulogy that I share with the f32.net community at Clive's request:

Steve died 16 April, 2003, at 4.45 p.m. Steve Grimes, that is, and the
photographic community will be at a great loss without his amusing way =
of
dealing with all the complicated and esoteric problems that we took to =
him.
He was a great machinist and always inventive about the way he dealt wi=
th
all the various lenses, cameras and optical instruments that came to hi=
attention from all over the world through his business S.K.Grimes Camer=
Repair in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, the "city on the move" as Steve use=
d to
say. Steve was a highly intelligent man. The solutions to the various l=
ens
issues that came to him reflected his creativity and imagination. He wo=
uld
stand on his toes with delight when he had made a particularly good res=
ult.

More than the skill that he had as a feinmechanic, he was a wonderful h=
uman
being. He had no pretentions. He was the most humble and non-judgementa=
person I have known. That does not mean that he did not have opinions a=
nd
ideas. He had lots of those, but he was always very careful with the pe=
ople
he interacted with. He was thoughtful, respectful and kind.

Steve's friendship was outstanding. He did not have many friends becaus=
e he
said himself that he was this odd, round shouldered, flat footed guy an=
nobody paid much attention to him. I was lucky enough to have known Ste=
ve
better than that. He was tough, passionate and strong. I also knew I co=
uld
count on him to give me a perspective on things that I had never though=
t of
before. I knew him to be the most "present" person I have ever known.
Whatever he was doing, that was what was important at that moment, whet=
her
that was his work, or walking the streets of Bancock where I spent thre=
weeks with him shortly before he died. I also know that he supported me=
 and
was my close friend during the difficult time I had when my daughter di=
ed.
He was always there without attitude or pity, just good friendship. He
called every day until the day he dropped.

Steve's greatest companion and friend was his wife, Marge. He often spo=
ke
of her in simple ways that showed his respect and love of her intellige=
nt
support and love for him. "Ask Marge", he would say. I could always cou=
nt
on a dose of reality and entertainment from the interactions between th=
em.
Marge has lost her husband years too early. There is no accounting for
that, and she will miss his presence. She was with him, supportive, dow=
n to
earth and brave to Steve's last breath.

Steve had been training Adam, Jason and Steve C to continue the good wo=
rk
he did for us. These guys are young and smart. They do not have the
experience that Steve had, but they have been learning quickly and they=
 can
manage very well. They know the difference between a Protar and a Cooke=

portrait lens and they can work those computerized programs on the mill=
ing
machines and lathes. They also have the huge information resource and
support of Steve's friends. I think we are in good hands.

Clive Russ
19 Colchester St.
Brookline
Ma 02446

email address               clive.russ@verizon.net
web page                     cliveruss.com
web email address       clive@cliveruss.com
cell phone                     617 462-1920
phone & ans mach        617 277-7118
=