[LargeFormat] another OT language topic

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 16 23:18:07 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Sinclair" <photo1@telusplanet.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] another OT language topic

> Richard,
>
> I believe the red leather was brought about with an
extract from the copper
> beech tree
>
> >  Russia leather was brick red which is why "deluxe"
model cameras
> >often had red leather bellows.
>
> Ken
>
>  [||/\/\/\/\//\/||        Ken Sinclair RBP, FBPA.
>  [||                            ||-|    Applied
Photographic Services
>  [||                            ||   |  Lethbridge,
>  [||                            ||   |  Alberta, Canada,
>  [||                            ||-|   (403) 381-1654.
>  [||\/\/\/\//\/\||       photo1@telusplanet.net
>  _0___________0______
> |___________________ |

  Webster's 7th New Collegiate says its tanned with Willow,
Birch, or Oak and then rubbed with Birch oil on the flesh
side. The process is supposed to have originated in Russia.
The natrual color is a sort of brown or brick red. Russia
leather is supposed to be resistant to insects and fungus so
was often used for the bellows of "tropical" cameras which
also feature Teak wood, which is supposed to be similarly
resistant.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA