[LargeFormat] Acme No. 4 Shutter Problems

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 5 18:12:23 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benno Jones" <benno@bjonesphoto.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 2:10 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Acme No. 4 Shutter Problems

> I recently acquired an Ilex-Calumet Caltar 12" f/6.3 in an
Ilex No.4 Acme
> Synchro shutter for use with my 'new' B&J 8x10.  On
arrival the shutter
> worked perfectly on all speeds including B and T when
firing the shutter
> with the shutter lever.  Today I put a cable release on it
and immediately B
> and T broke.  Both now immediately close after opening.
The focus button
> still works for keeping the lens open, but it doesn't seem
to be a realistic
> option for keeping the camera still on long exposures.
Can anyone tell me
> if this is a common problems with this type of shutter and
whether it can be
> fixed?  As well, is there a recommended repair shop for
these older
> shutters?  I'm in Seattle, but can ship it if need be.
>
> Thanks,
> Benno Jones

   There should be a pin inside the cable release socket.
They are often missing. If its not there the end of the
cable release will hit some levers inside the shutter
causing it to jam. Fixing the jam is easy but the problem
will happen again if the pin is not replaced. I don't know
the size, its possible a bit of drill stock would fit. The
length is not too critical.
  Steve Grimes: http://www.skgrimes.com  is probably the
best expert on Ilex shutters.
---