[LargeFormat] Dealing with Bellows Sag

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 5 17:13:12 2003

At 7:23 am +0100 4/4/03, Clive Warren wrote:

>Does anyone have the original solution (rods?) or have any advice on
>the best ways of dealing with the sag that would otherwise cause
>vignetting?

Thanks to all for the bellows sag solutions. Jim's is my favorite so far ;-)

I like the idea of using velcro strips but do not really want to
start sticking things onto the bellows. Some of my cameras have
bellows that are nearing the end of their useful life. I feel like
that a bit today!

For the 8x10 cameras, the bellows are quite large and heavy so there
may also be  a risk of the velcro not being able to take the weight
at the inopportune moment - ie when the shutter is open.

The string solution is simple and effective. It probably beats rods
and coathangers in field use where carrying anything long and thin
would present a bit of a challenge.

Another solution just sprang into mind - a telescopic aerial from a
portable radio. The camera carrying handle on the rear standard could
be used to locate it at one end and a bit of 3M tape on the font
standard at the other. Folds down into a small package and is both
light and strong enough to do the job. Hmmm......

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions and the sharing of field experience.