[LargeFormat] Dealing with Bellows Sag

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Fri Apr 4 13:14:13 2003

You can, of course, always stuff something underneath in most cases - either
"custom made" or an old Tupperware box or something that you carry gizmos in
in your camera bag.

Also depending on the amount of extension, a good old fashioned piece of
string around the bellow, and another from there going back to the top of
the rear frame (to the handle or a suitable screw) will often provide enough
tension to raise the bellows (on the front of my copy of Westons Daybooks -
he's doing this, but ties the string to the front standard instead - low
tech, but it works). A hi-tech version of this that I made for the old
bellows on my Deardorff (no need with the brand new ones it has now) was a
little rectangle of the soft fuzzy side of some velcro glued in a couple of
spots along the bellows (sort of over the top of the fold of one of the
creases) then a long strip of the hooky side of the bellows fixed to the top
of the rear standard (there was a suitably placed screw that could be
removed and rescrewed to hold the Velcro in place). Then you just pull the
long trip of velcro taught and "stick" it to whichever velcro patch work
best - again, enough tension to stop the sag. I think if you look at the
Canham website, he uses this idea built into his cameras.

Obviously doesn't work well for really floppy old bellows or really long
extensions...