[LargeFormat] WTB

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sat Mar 29 14:10:12 2003

Just about any  300 will cover 8x10 so internal reflections is worth
some consideration, but that's alleviated by a lens shade that masks
everything up to the 4x5 image. Even teles will cover a lot more than
their rated format.  I have a 385mm tele optar for my graphic, and it
will cover 8x10. The center 4x5 is nice and sharp but by 5x7 it's
teetering and at the edges of 8x10 its pretty strange.

Telephoto lenses cheat.  In general terms they are a shorter lens with
a negative element in the rear that spreads the smaller image out.
Since you didn't enlarge the film, the effect is magnification of the
image.

Pound for pound a normal lens will out perform a tele particularly at
the corners.  Barrel or pincushion distortion and flare are problems
designers have be working on for a century. They've gotten better but
not perfect. In fact I'm working with a CoolPix 950 and a tele
attachment and am getting a lot of flare off of an Anniversary Speed.