[LargeFormat] Real men & women only shoot 11x14

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 26 23:06:15 2003

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003, at 09:58  PM, Jim Hemenway wrote:

> I'm also looking for an alternative to carrying the 11x14 and kit into
> the woods.
>
> I haven't weighed it but in addition to the camera, I carry a Majestic
> tripod, 3 film holders, light meter(s), a film box with sample 11x14
> chromes for the curious, a black sweatshirt with arms removed and sewn,
> a Leica R8... all in an LL Bean type canvas bag....  what's a log book?
> : )
>
> I'm thinking of big, big wheels of some sort.
>
> --

While I worked mostly inside the Henry Ford Museum, occasionally I was
let out, but never with transportation, just my feet.

The village is some 30 acres and even a 4x5 can get tiring after the
third or 4th hour of lugging it around.  The powers that be finally
heard the faint cries of the photographers after 25 years and bought
these

http://www.shepnell.com/vtmc.htm

These are also standard issue on Mackinac Island, where cars are banned
during tourist season.  The three modes of drayage there are: your
back, one of these or the horse drawn flat bed.  Most of the companies
have customized paint jobs on theirs, and most are able to connect to a
bicycle (another standard item), though I don't think you'd need that
option in the woods.