[LargeFormat] Handle for 11x14 Korona

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 26 13:22:16 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren"

> Jim,
>
> On the 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 Koronas the handle is a flat piece of
leather
> embossed with the Korona name and triangular shaped at the ends to
hold it
> into the brackets. There is no buckle or shaped part to the handle.  I
> don't have an 11x14 but agree with Richard that your handle is
probably a
> later replacement.

I've replaced the handles on my 11x14 Korona (clone?) and my 8x10 Korona
with just that: I've used strip of thick leather cut to size with the
triangular-shaped piece on both ends.  They do the job perfectly for
what I need, namely large format work in the urban landscape.

I would probably not walk a mile with the 11x14 gear in my hands:  I'm
actually looking for some kind of backpack that I could use to carry the
camera, holders, lens and tripod.  The weigh is a remarkable 45lbs.  To
which you need to add all the side equipment that you normally carry
(camera bag with supplementary camera, log book, light meter, etc...).
Things get even more complicated if I bring an 8x10 back with a few
holders and a 4x5 back with a Polaroid holder and film to check exposure
instead of wasting film...

What I normally do is to drive as close as I can to the shooting place
and use a collapsible dolly to roll things around when the terrain
permits it.  I have not tried going out in the real field (nature)
altough I wish I could.  I suppose I could hire a "boy" or a mule to
carry the equipment.   Hmmm...

Somebody on this list last year had mentionned a sort of backpacking
dolly, but I can't find the reference.

Suggestions welcome for lugging things around.

Best,

Guy