[LargeFormat] Lee filter system : how about vignetting with wide-angle lenses?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 10 15:20:46 2003

At 8:38 pm +0100 7/3/03, Huib Smeets wrote:

>Have been looking at the Lee filters and holder to replace my screw-in
snip

>Looking at the holder and the size of the filters I ask myself: do they
>vignet when used in conjunction with a Super Angulon 90/5.6 ?? (at
>f11/f16/f22)
>
>Other lenses I own are: 150/5.6 apo-symmar, 210/5.6 apo-symmar and the
>latest addition and culprit of my "problem" a 300mm/5.6 Sironar-N. I see no
>problem on using the Lee system on these lenses or did I miss something
>here?.
snip

Huib,

The Lee filter system that I am familiar with has 100mm square
filters (oblong in the case of grads but 100mm wide). Please remind
us what the filter diameter is on the 90mm SA f5.6

The easy way to tell if you are going to have a vignetting problem is
to try the filter system out on the camera with the lens of interest.
Take the camera back off see if you can see the edges of the filter
holder.

For extreme wide angle lenses I have trimmed the front of Cokin "P"
size holders in the past to give only one slot rather than the normal
two or three.

It seems likely that you are trying to find out the answer to your
question before buying so this may not help too much - well at least
I tried :-)

Inany event, it is a lot more cost effective to use the Lee or Cokin
type systems with adaptor plates and makes your back pack a lot
lighter if you have lenses with various filter thread diameters.