[LargeFormat] Elgeet Update

John Moore largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 5 19:08:19 2003

> From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
> Subject: Re:  [LargeFormat] Elgeet Update

> snip <

> I'm also considering having the third lens
> board that I've got setup with a Packard shutter.
> I've never had one of these.  My lens boards are 4
> inch square.  Is that large enough?  What sizes do
> these type shutters come in?  What should I look for

> or ask about when considering buying?  Can different

> barrel lenses be attached and interchanged
> conviently?

> Thanks all!
> Rich Lahrson
> Berkeley, California
> tripspud@transbay.net

Rich, I have a couple of Packard shutters, the
smallest one I have is 4" square with a 2" opening.
I'm not sure that would fit on the back of a 4" board
& still mount inside the camera... that would depend
on the opening on the front standard.

I also have them in 4-1/2 with a 2-1/4" opening;
4-3/4" with a 2-1/2" opening & a 5-1/4" with a 2-3/4"
opening.

They come in smaller & larger sizes, so there are 2
that should fit on your 4" board: 3-1/4  with a 1-1/2"
opening & a 3-1/2  with a 1-3/4" opening.

As for interchanging lenses, that can be done a number
of ways: 1) standardizing on a barrel size- hard to do
with some of these older lenses, 2) using a velcro
system on the back of the lensboards & the front of
the Packard shutter, 3) mounting the shutter inside of
the front standard. I have a B&J Rembrandt Portrait
that had a Packard mounted with clips. It also has an
attachment drilled through the standard that provides
the connection for the air tube. Let me know if you'd
like me to take a couple of pics of it & post them.

If you'd like to pick up a new one, as well as the
accessories for them, take a look here:
http://www.hubphoto.com/packard-shutters.htm.

John Moore