[LargeFormat] DIY Focusing Cloth and Blankies

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 22 01:24:03 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Verna Knapp" <vernak@wvi.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] DIY Focusing Cloth and Blankies

> I wish my hair were not so slick. That sort of thing just
slides off. I
> have better luck with a baseball cap that has a tie for
under the chin,
> though that does not work well with the camera. Hmmm. Time
for some
> experimental sewing, I think. An old fashioned sunbonnet,
but with a
> very short or non-existent "poke" (front brim) just might
work, and they
> are not hard to make. And if I sewed the neck shade long
enough, it
> would be a fine dark cloth. Just flip it forward when
needed. For those
> not familiar with a sunbonnet, they sometimes had a cloth
sewed to the
> back to drape down over the neck and upper back to prevent
sunburn back
> there. And there was a long "poke" brim in front to shade
the face. They
> were used while working in the garden when I was a girl,
back when a
> suntan was a negative and not a positive. Women valued a
pale complexion
> back then. It said you did not have to work in the fields.
>
> Thanks for the idea!
>
> Verna

  This reminds me of the advise given to writers and others
from New York  invited to work in Hollywood: Don't buy
anything you can't get on the train and stay away from
anyone with a suntan.
  (Actually the original was don't buy anything you can't
get on the Chief, but hardly anyone will know what that was
now.)
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA