[LargeFormat] RE: [Large Format] EBay

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 11 11:14:22 2003

Although I understand proxy bidding & will bid with the maximum price I
will happily pay to have an item I routinely use a sniping service
(www.auctionsniper.com) for the simple reason of 'bid retraction'.

With eBay's proxy if I'm willing to pay $10 and I place a bid - I can't
change my mind - I win or lose on $10. With a snipe service I prepare a
last minute $10 bid. Then if something comes up I can cancel my prepared
bid prior to the service placing it. My most common snipe report is
'couldn't place bid' because the current price was higher when the last
10 sec of the auction came around. But I'm cheap on eBay.

The other advantage is for 'commodity items' where I can set a bid
group. This group keeps getting bid on until I win one, then it stops
bidding. This is how I picked up my Gralab 300 at the lowest price a
Gralab went for that week. Its how I buy all my Sinar components.

This bidding system works well for items that are not unique because if
I miss one lens I can always pick up the next one. If I absolutely must
have a piece of gear that is what stores are for. If I am looking to
extend my collection at bargain prices that is what eBay is for. My rule
of thumb is 45% of equivalent new since return is a challenge,
descriptions are light or confused, I haven't seen the item and there is
risk.

Dave Hornford
"Where do you store the time you save?"
   --- Anon