[LargeFormat] EBay

Alan Davenport largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 10 21:22:28 2003

At 10:58 AM 2/10/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't think you understand how eBay Proxy Bidding works. It doesn't
>matter whether you bid at the last second or not, proxy bidding will
>increase your bid up to the maximum you bid in either case.

Stan, you're missing the point.  Sniping with your maximum bid still lets
the proxy system work; snipers know that.
What it protects you from, is guys who DON'T place their maximum bid, but
keep raising the ante every time someone
outbids them.  A well-timed snipe doesn't give those guys time to place
another bid manually; you'll still lose if
someone else placed a higher proxy bid, but you always win against the guys
who only bid $1 over the previous amount.
The net result: sniping saves money on many of the items you do win.