[LargeFormat] Toho 8x10

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Feb 10 19:38:23 2003

At 10:18 08/02/2003 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Anyone used a Toho 8x10 (NOT Toyo)?
>
>How does it fare as a super lightweight 8x10?  (I've read the 4x5 reviews,
>but there's little on the 8x10).
>
>Rigidity, packability etc?

Tim,

I'm a real fan of the 4x5 Toho and am just waiting for someone close to me=
=20
to realise what it is that would really make me very happy on my birthday=20
...... well I can dream :-)  Having played with the 4x5 (see the review at=
=20
http://www.f32.net/Services/Equipment/Cameras/tohoFC-45A.html ) it seems to=
=20
be very well made and rigid enough to do the job, however does have base=20
rather than axis tilts.

For the FC 810, the weak point seems to be the joint between the two rails=
=20
when using both together for longer lens or close work. Here are some specs=
=20
that were grabbed from Toho's web site:

2-SECTION RAIL TYPE 8=D710inch CAMERA
FC-810 camera body with short 340mm rail:3.0kgs.
FC-810 camera body with long 460mm rail: 3.1kgs.
FC-810 camera body with short and long rails and joint metal fittings=
 :3.4kgs.
  (The above weight not including the lens panel)
Lens panel:140mm square Toho panel No.0=B7No.1 and No.3 (Sinar Panel usable)
Bellows usable range: 80mm -750mm

If you do discover some feedback from people who have actually used the=20
camera then please let us know.