[LargeFormat] Observation...

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 4 17:54:24 2003

At 06:05 04/02/2003 -0800, Les Newcomer wrote:
>Also that $400+ lens was very mint, and in an SVS shutter with some odd
>engraving.  It looks like it might have been a special purpose lens.  Not
>too long ago I saw a 203 with a date code of '61in a Sycnro compur. It's
>possible that the SVS was even later, which makes it that much more
>valuable. Not that it will take better pictures....

Les,

The Prontor SVS shuttered versions of the 203mm are fairly common here in
the UK. I would imagine that Kodak UK bought in the shutters from Germany
and they had a good deal on SVS shutters. Personally I don't like the
things - they set my teeth on edge whenever I cock the shutter. I have had
two main springs break on me over the years and the slow speeds are always
gummed up. The SVS shuttered 203s no longer have serial numbers so you
can't date 'em. They also have a different mount for the lens elements
front and back. The front cell is marked "MOUNT 370". I would imagine that
Europe was supplied with the SVS shuttered version.

Give me a Compur any day....... let me know if you need my address ;-)