[LargeFormat] Request for opinion

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 31 20:56:45 2003

Dear Friends,

     I need some advice. You may wish to give it discretely via direct email
or openly on this list. The request is genuine.

     I have a book on Soviet cameras that lists a lot of the little ones -
it also has details of the larger plate cameras that were made as
professional units. Wooden folding tailboard cameras and the like. Crude
stuff but very sturdy and presumably workable.

     I note that these come up from time to time on eBay out of some
sections of the old Soviet Union. Prices seem reasonable. Delivery via air
mail is promised in the advertisement. There are apparently many expressions
of satisfaction on the site from other customers.

     My delicate question is - are these transactions viable from this area?
Is sending a bid and then eventually a bank draught going to result in a
camera or just silence? Has anyone had real experience with these things?

     The reason I ask is family experience using the eBay here in
Australia. My daughter sold off a bunch of old clothing on it and I was able
to watch the process from one end - complex but honest. I tried to sell a
toy sewing macine on the net and so far the transaction seems to be a
phantom thing - I have the goods ready but the winning bidder has sent no
money. I am starting to be suspicious....

    Okay - please advise. All advice kept strictly private, except if it is
reaally good and then I'll sell it on eBay....

    Uncle Dick