[LargeFormat] Lens Boards - 4x4 and Linhof/Wista Style

philip.lambert largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 28 03:10:01 2003

I made an adapter board once to fit a Linhof board upside down to move the
lens down  to give a fixed amount of drop front.
You could start off with a 4x4 board (used offroad?) with a cutout for the
rear element of the biggest lens involved. Place the Linhof board on top and
surround it with a 4x4 plywood sheet having the Linhof board outline cut
out. This locates the Linhof board but needs a rim that narrowly overlaps
the L.bd at one end. It helps to chamfer this overlap underneath to enable
the edge of the  L.bd. to be inserted.
I used two round head brass screws protruding a few mm out of the plywood
surround as there wasn't in my case enough space for a plywood rim
overlapping etc.  Opposite such overlap I made a turnbutton to press down on
the other end of the L.bd.  It never fell out as it was a tight fit all
round.
I made similar converters to fit my tiny Century Graphic panels to the
smallest Linhof Technika out of layers of plywood cut to size. They were
sprayed black and were light tight.  Not elegant.
I  attempted to make a rising front adapter for my Nikon using C Graphic
lenses on the front of a bellows.  At the moment I am considering how to
make a rising front slide carrying a medium format enlarging lens on a
Nikon. No bellows. Focussing would be fixed at 30 feet as it's for
architecture and at f.16 everything that mattered would be in focus. A 63mm
EL Nikkor was just too short to accomodate the adapters but 75mm would suit.
Nikon 28mm and 35mm rising front lenses are available at great cost and I
sold mine.
As a separate idea I fitted a Century Graphic board with a lenshood that
flared out at the front which had a second  filter thread there, taking a
filter rim having a wooden disk cut to accept my 203mm f7.7 Ektar, which was
otherwise too long for the C. Graphic's bellows. It works.  I use two-part
resin adhesives and would not trust a valuable lens to such materials.
Obviously the tricky thing is to find a metal hood with a filter thread on
both ends.  Different lenses could be mounted on filter rings using the one
adapter board.  Putting a heavy shutter on such a protruding board puts a
downward twist on the front upright which warrants remembering.
I hope somebody finds these reflections helpful.  Philip