[LargeFormat] Introductions

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 27 09:58:11 2003

Greetings all,

My odyssey into large format started a few of years ago following a
backpacking trip on Somerset Island in the Canadian Artic. The P&S 35mm
camera I had been using for snaps for years failed as the chartered Twin
Otter flew around Cunningham Inlet. I was attempting to take a snap of
the 400 or so Beluga whales in the inlet. Carrying a broken camera out
to Cape Anne (home of a haunting Thule archaeological site) was an
inspiration to improve my lot. Adjusting our schedule to work with a BBC
camera team & agreeing to share a flight with a butchered Narwhal (the
Narwhal got rows 1-4, my nephew & I took rows 5 & 6) cut the charter
bill dramatically and left me with enough to go camera shopping.

Not yet understanding the lure of large format I forayed into the 35mm
world and now have a few Nikons. I started taking photographs rather
than snaps and started thinking about improvements. My Dad volunteered
an Agfa Record Medium Format and I was hooked on larger film. It was a
short jump to a used Calumet Cadet purchased off eBay & an elderly
Wollensak lens.=20

One attempt carrying the Calumet into the wilderness convinced me of the
foolishness of this path. Today I use a Sinar Alpina and am restoring a
Korona 5x7 field camera. I still have the Wollensak 162mm, and have
added a Schneider 180 and Fujinon 75 SW & 90 SWD lens. I have vowed not
to look into either 8x10 or 11x14 ground glass until my children are out
of school. I split my shooting between B&W (FP4, HP5 & Acros) & Provia.
Mostly landscapes.

Large format negatives led to a darkroom. This fall I picked up a De
Vere 507, the warning that buying accessories for a De Vere will make me
yearn for the good old days when I was just accessorising a Sinar have
come true. Ilfochrome and B&W keep me busy in the dark.

I live in Calgary with most of my photography in the Rocky & Bugaboo
mountains. I have a strong attachment to the high Arctic islands and
would go far more often if it wasn't necessary to charter a plane to go
anywhere. By day I work for HP Services as a sales person. I'm married
and have two young boys. Everyone humours my photo obsession & I'm
attempting to foster my oldest son's budding interest in photography.

As a last note, I have seen where Uncle Dick grew-up & nothing prepares
you for that.

regards Dave

Dave Hornford
"Don't be afraid to take big steps.
You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps."
   --- David Lloyd George