[LargeFormat] Introductions

Tori Nelson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 23 09:09:41 2003

Well, if it's not too late to chime in...

I'm 46, until April, when I will claim another year of life experience.
  I've lived in San Diego since 1975, and am a third generation
Californian (yes, we do exist).  I received my first camera as a
Christmas gift when I was 7, a Kodak Instamatic, complete with flash
cubes.  I've had a camera of some sort in my hands since then.  I feel
somewhat at a disadvantage from most of you though, as none of my
parents (a few step-fathers thrown in for good measure) could have
cared less about photography.  My Grandfather, however, always had a
camera in hand.  I believe he exposed (sorry for the pun) me to every
type of Polaroid camera ever made.  He also shot with film cameras,
though I don't think he went larger than medium format.  (Somehow, I
managed to get ahold of one of his itty-bitty cameras that has a
leather case saying it was made in Occupied Japan.)  After my
Grandmother died, I got all of the old albums, negatives and slides;
dating back from the early 20's.  My Grandparents were lucky enough to
have travelled all over the world, and I have the negs from all of
their trips.  I've printed from a few of the old negs, but I think it
will be a project that must wait a while longer.

At the age of 40, I had my mid-life crisis and decided that it wasn't
too late to plunge headlong into my only artistic passion, photography.
  I took a few classes at a local junior college, built a darkroom at
home, and started on this journey that I hope will never end.

I've been shooting large format for the last four years.  My camera of
choice is an old 8x10 Deardorff with all three backs.  I use the 4x5
back for images that I know I'll want to enlarge, but mainly use the
8x10 so that I can use the negs for platinum and/or palladium prints.
I much prefer B&W film (HP5), but will use color on occasion, though
only for the 4x5 back.  I fianally bought a JOBO expert drum for 8x10
negs and will start experimenting with Rollo Pyro.  I'm actually not
fond of anything too technical and most of my darkroom moves are based
on what "feels right".

I have to agree with the others on this list about the amount of help
and camaraderie available here.  I've learned much, although my eyes
tend to glaze over when things get to techi for me.  And let's be
honest, a day without Dear, Sweet, Incorrigible Uncle Dick, wouldn't be
worth getting out of bed for!!!

Nice to meet you all,

Tori

Tori Nelson