[LargeFormat] Introductions

Dean Cookson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 23 08:58:14 2003

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 12:04 PM, Clive Warren wrote:
> It seems that we do not hear from a large number of people on the list
> so this in an invite to everyone to come out of lurking mode and tell
> us who you are. Something simple on your photographic background, kit
> and preferred format/film and location would be a good starting point.

Surething. ;-)

My name is Dean Cookson and I've been dabbling in photography for 12
years or so.  Like a number of folks I got my start in small format and
shot 35mm color slides for a little more than a decade.  For the past
couple of years I'd been getting an urge to try bigger negs in 1998 I
traded some old Nikkormat stuff I had for a beat up C330.  It was an
improvement but about a year ago I took the plunge and picked up an
entire 4x5 kit (built around a Tachihara woodfield) on Ebay for a great
price and I haven't touched the 35 or 6x6 since.

Starting in the spring of 2002, I took a few courses on the Zone System
and on B&W printing at the New England School of Photography in Boston,
Mass.  By this past fall I had a handle on how HP5+ would respond to
development changes, was making prints I was reasonably happy with and
I was thrilled with the facilities and community I'd found at NESOP.
Then Fate, being what it is, decided things needed a little shaking up.
  While on a 2 week vacation in Yosemite and California wine country
(yes, I brought the 4x5) I was laid off from my job in Boston and got
hired for a new one in San Francisco.  So, at the end of December, my
wife and I packed everything up and moved out to the Bay Area.

Now that we're starting to get settled a bit, I'm trying to figure out
what to do about a darkroom and looking forward to shooting some of the
great countryside that's out here.

Dean