[LargeFormat] Re: Introductions

Mike Kirwan largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jan 19 13:24:01 2003

I hav been into photography fpr 20+ years. Starting with a 35mm Russian
Zenith, migrated to Olympus OM, then to medium format with a Mamiya C330.
The move to large format started with a Speed Graphic then a 4x5 Wista which
is my workhorse. My current love is an old Ansco 5x7 Woodie. I made a
modified lensboard adaptor to take the Wista Lensboards and that worked out
really well and means I can share lenses across these cameras. I also have
an old 8x10 Senecca which I picked up in a junk store in South Burlington
while I was on a business trip.

I shoot mainly B&W landscapes using either FP4 (4x5 and 5x7) or TMAX
Readyloads. I use an 5x7 Omega enlarger with VC Cold light Head for all my
work and print on either Forte or Ilford FB papers.

Best

Mike Kirwan
Concord, California

-----Original Message-----
From: largeformat-admin@f32.net [mailto:largeformat-admin@f32.net]On
Behalf Of tripspud
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 8:24 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Re: Introductions

Hi,

     I spent a year at RIT in '64, right before the campus moved.
Gene Smith spent an improptu hour with my photo illustration
class of about 40 one noon.  AA & EWs print quality was my
god.  I had a prolab a year.  I used some 8x10 in the '70s
with Supper-xx and D-23 (N+FIVE, I kid you not).  Returning
to photography after over two decades away.  My lab made
Positive prints from slides via internegative.  Kodak designed
lab, a real dream with SuperCromega on a stage with drop
baseboard shelfs and 20x24 easel with 16x20 Calumet
basket line with temperture controled nitrogen burst
agitation.

    Now, only black and white.  A hugh 5x7
Elwood looks like it'll work and a moded 5x7
Seneca that weights under 5 pounds.  I've got
75 sheets Bergger 200 film, scale, pyro, amidol,
No. 3 safelight, trays, and Mike and Paula's e-mail
address plus 100 sheets of Azo.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California