[LargeFormat] Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?

Joseph O'Neil largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 13 08:14:01 2003

At 22:59 1/12/03 -0800, you wrote:
>It's gratifying to hear that others think as highly of the Supers as I do.
>I've never used a Linhof and have always wondered what I'm missing.  And
>been confused about what I could be missing because the Super does so much
>that I can't see why a Linhof could be so much (MUCH) more expensive... how
>can it possibly do a better job of keeping the dark in? ;-)

-snip-
         The problem is finding a good used one, or even find a used on
period.  everyone seems to want one, and if you do find one on say ebay,
the price is considerably more than they used ot be a few yers ago, IMO.

         Still, I have one, it is a bit beat up, but i use it
constantly.  The only thing you haave to be aware of is some ofhte older
speed graphic lens boards will not work on a  super speed graphic.  The SS
graphic lens boards have extra little raised "notches" on them, so just be
careful that way if you get one.

         The other "gripe" i have in general about the entire Graphic line
is everyone seems to have "discovered " them now.  Last big, used camera
shows I attended in both Toronto, Ont and Detriot, MI, used large format
gear was few and far between,a nd what was there, with a few exceptions,
was quite expensive, compared to prices in the past.

         I noticed that while 35mm and MF gear was plentiful, there seems
to be a bit of an anti-digital backlash out there, and thway it is takign
shape is a growing interest in large format.  Granted, this backlash is
like comparing a garden hose aimed backwards against Niagara Falls.

         But to give you a direct example, 10 years ago at camera shows you
could buy used graphic lens boards for $10 Cdn a shot,a nd there were
usually stacks of of them at some dealer tables.  Today, between Ebay and
the growing interest in Graphic cameras, the last shows I was at this past
fall, you had to ask for grpahic lens boards, and IF thery were available,
they were an average of $40 to $50 Cdn each (about $30 to $35 US).  yes,
there is inflation after ten years, but goign form $10 to $50 in ten years
- I think that is a bit higher than the average inflation rate.  :)

         I am not complaining - I am only pointing out that many of us
bought our used Graphic cameras in a time peiod (even 5 years ago) when
they were much more plentiful and less expensive.  They are not as cheap as
they used to be, and i think if you tried to buy one today that old phrase
"ah, they are just a couple hundred bucks"  no longer applies, unless you
are looking at a real junker.    I know looking at completed Ebay auctions,
what I paid for my Crown graphic 6 years ago I could easly fetch twice the
price for it today, if not three times the price.

         So yes, go out and grab yourself a Speed, Crown or Super Speed
Graphic, spend money on a good lens, and have a great time.  I ahve three
of the suckers myself and i have absolutely no desire to upgrade right now
(oaky, if i win the lottery, I'll buy a couple Wisners and a compelte set
of lenses for each camera  :), but otherwise, you can do a lot with them.

         Fianlly, do not overlook the Graphic mono-rail camera either, if
you need a monorail.  They are superb, assuming you find one in good
shape.  Mine is in near mint shape, and interms of build, construction,
every way you can think of them, it is, IMO, a match for almost any new 4x5
monorail out there today.

anytime
joe

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca
http://www.multiboard.com/~joneil
Una salus victis, nullam sperare salutem