[LargeFormat] Compur 00 (was Crown Graphic Movements(or lack of) ?)

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 13 06:54:22 2003

>   BTW, you will need a locking cable release if your SA is
> in the older Compur No.00 shutter, it has no T setting, only
> B. Only very early SA's came in these shutters.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow

This is exactly right.  This is in fact the model I own.

You must have jinxed me Richard ;-) , because I was unpacking my gear (this
very afternoon!) to give it the once-over after returning from Australia
when I noticed some movement in the shutter assembly.  The shutter speed
ring was flexing away from the shutter body at the bottom when the lens cell
was given a slight amount of pressure.  The lens was kept on the Super
Graphic board with the cells attached, wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in
the middle of a Lowe Pro bag, so at first I thought this might be a natural
movement I hadn't noticed before.  It wasn't.  I removed the front cell and
tripped the shutter once and now one of the blades is loose... :-(

So, what do you guys think?  Should I send this to Steve Grimes (any guess
what sort of cost??) for repairs or look for a new (used) shutter or simply
flog the whole thing on eBay with the problem identified?  I have a friend
with a Fujinon f8 90mm that he's thinking he'd let go for $300 US or so...

The lack of a 'T' setting has always been a nuisance, but I've learned to
live with it.  I've never had a reason to have misgivings about this lens
optically or mechanically until now.  In spite of its age, I've never felt
the lack of multicoating was a problem.

Brock