[LargeFormat] WWII signal Corp newsgroups

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Tue Dec 31 22:20:35 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "rstein" <rstein@bigpond.net.au>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] WWII signal Corp newsgroups

> Dear Friends,
>
>      Excellent question. Excellent answers. 'Nother
question....

>      What cameras did the other combatants of WWII use for
their coverage?

>     Uncle Dick

  That is an extemely interesting question.
  One thing which is not generally known is that a lot of
color motion picture film was shot by both the American and
German forces. Much of the American combat footage seen in
black and white is actually on either Kodachrome or early
Ektachrome.
  The Germans had both color negative and reversal materials
made by Agfa. They look rather grainy compared to
Kodachrome. At least some of this footage has recently been
shown in color in a TV program called something like _The
War in Color_ featured on The History Channel. It really
does lead to a different viewpoint, a more immediate one
since the color is more realistic. The B&W footage has
almost a dream-like quality which removes one some
additional step from the violence being depicted.
  As far as I am concerned anything which reduces the
glamorization of war is all to the good