[LargeFormat] Re: filmholder ID

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 29 20:58:15 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Skip Roessel" <skiproessel@mindspring.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 2:30 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] Re: filmholder ID

> Liquid Nails glue might attach a small lable permanantly.
I think a better
> idea
> would be to drill a series of small holes along one of the
retaining flanges,
> and establish a sort of binary-style code. Access to a
drillpress would be very
> helpful to position the bit accurately.
>
> I've heard of this done, never done it myself.  I imagine
the under surface of
> the flanges should be dressed with fine abrasive, like
crocus paper, to smooth
> away any sharp bits the drill may leave coming through,
which might scratch the
> edge of the film and introduce filaments of elmulsion.
> Skip Roessel
> skiproessel@mindspring.com
>
> tripspud wrote:

  It was common practice among press and commercial
photographers to notch the edge of the loading flap. there
were several variations of code, typically using square and
V notches, and sometimes slit notches,  something like those
used for notch coding of the film. These notches show up at
the edge of the image.
  The notches can be cut with small files and do not
otherwise affect the operation of the holder. Crude but it
works.
  At one time transparent plastic and perforated metal tabs
were available for mounting inside film holders. Agfa/Ansco
sold sets of holders numbered this way. Such tabs have been
long off the market but would probably not be hard to make.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com