[LargeFormat] Mounting Large Prints

Curt Miller largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 28 17:44:20 2002

Don't feel embarrassed about drymounting, Les.  I predict that we're in an
anti-drymounting "phase" right now.  I have seen so many phases and tastes
come and go in the 40 or so years I've been into the medium (remember the
"Pseudo-Sabbatier effect that ran concurrent with the Nehru jacket back in
'68?).  I spent this afternoon with one of my buddies who's one of the best
professional architectural photographers in the world.  We had exchanged 5x7
contact prints for Christmas and he had already drymounted mine and readied
it for my signature.  Everything in his house is drymounted - I believe
including his Weston's.  We talk about it from time-to-time but fail to
understand the concerns about drymounting.  I really think there are many
more negatives to not drymounting than to doing it (and I have a wall full
of warped prints from my "don't drymount phase" that I now need to
drymount).

Don't feel guilt.  Resolve to drymount in the New Year!

Curt

<snip>