[LargeFormat] Critique

Verna Knapp largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 25 17:52:01 2002

Dear Uncle Dick,

I laughed until I cried! It is all too true. Especially the "claw your
eyes out" dimension.

OK, you get the ones who choreograph to run through their routines
first. Good move. There is a sizeable contingent of us here in Oregon,
USA who improvise. Yep, make it up as we go along. Ride the music. Tune
in, turn on, and dance our hearts out. I perform regularly in public and
generally have a half dozen tapes in my costume case. Make up my mind
which one just before the performance, or get an audience member to pick
it. I can even improvise to music I've never heard before, and enjoy it.
Now that would be a whole different matter to capture. It definitely
makes for a fresh and lively dance, too. :-) The audience thinks we
choreograph, though. A few do.

Studio work is definitely the way to go, and bringing an audience is a
very good idea. Provides that extra spark.

I am often amused by the "naked lady" comments that I get while wearing
as much as 18 yards of fabric. A yard is just under a meter, for those
of you who have gone decimal. Ok, it gets down to 9 yards or so after
I've danced out of my veils. The costumes get a little lighter in the
hot part of the summer, though. ;-) Couldn't stand to wear them
otherwise. They are awfully warm.

Sharra (aka Verna)

--
" Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.  "
--The Dalai Lama