[LargeFormat] Light Tables and Boxes

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 23 06:59:32 2002

Dear Phill,

     As this is the season to be jolly I shall forego the cursing and
tantrums. Once Twelfth Night passes I shall be into you like a Jack Russell
on an exposed leg. Consider this your period of grace. Brace yourself

    Actually, on second thought, you may be safe. I have just done a shoot
for a bellydance hafla ( dance party ) and I am knackered. It is not the
bellies or the breasts or the backsides - it is moving the lights,
backdrops, and props. I can see why the big studios employ little assistants
to do all the dog work. My transport vehicle is a bit of a Tardis - a Ford
ute that takes the Autopoles and props on the top rack and everything else
inside - but I still have to load, unload, set up. break down, and create,
create, create, in the middle.

    Time for a major rethink. I don't mean that I am going to go out and
take pictures of the woods and mountains ( When I want Twin Peaks I want 'em
with sequins and I want 'em shakin'. Hot Damn.) I mean I am going to rethink
how I supply lights in the field and how I suspend a backdrop. Trying to get
electric power in some of the places I go is diabolical. Many the time I
have tested the lights to the merry pop of the circuit breakers.....

    The other problem with bellydance pictures is performance pictures are
generally drack or dreck - the best performances are given in front of the
worst backgrounds and the brightest costume is never improved by being set
against the toilets or the band.

     Uncle Dick