[LargeFormat] Re: 2-1/4"x 3-1/4" format cameras

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 21 15:29:21 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Les Newcomer" <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Re: 2-1/4"x 3-1/4" format cameras
Snipping...

> The hard-to-find back is the Graflex back.  This back
doesn't allow the
> ground glass to spring open for the film holder, it uses
slide locks too.
> Graflex made roll holders for this but they usually say
GRAFLEX instead of
> GRAPHIC on the back.
>
> the last I heard Ilford was still making sheet film in
this size but is
> pulling out soon. After that you'll pay a premium to use
the camera.

  A further note: The Graflex and Graflok back are different
in that the locating ridge for Graflok and Graphic backs is
on the holders and accessories, on the Graflex back its on
the camera side. The Graflok won't take Graflex holders or
accessories although it looks like it will.
  The most flexible of the three backs is the Graflok.
Graflex backs are occasionally found on Graphic cameras,
especially those made before the Graflok back became
available where the user wanted to use some Graflex type
accessory.
  All three backs are interchangible on most cameras with
little surgery.
  The Graflok back became the standard back for Graphic
cameras about 1951.
  There is some additional information on the Graflex Org
web site at http://www.graflex.org

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA