[LargeFormat] 8x10 Wide Angle: Kowa 210mm, G-Claron 210mm, Protar Series V (was re:Lenses)

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 15 23:36:01 2002

This is the coverage on my 210 G-Claron f9, as I tested it.(there is also a
WA G Claron, which has much greater coverage - actually there seem to be 3
or 4 versions - they need a copal 3).

f22 - 1/2" Rise/fall

f32 - 1 1/4" Rise/Fall

f45 - no vignetting at 1 3/4"

The Kowa so far seems to fit the copal okay - I'll see what the prints look
like... all seemed to focus etc - not sure how the f stops will coincide?.

I might get Steve Grimes to make a custom push on filter holder for it if I
decide it's a keeper, and I'll get him to check that the mounting is
precise.

As for coverage, it appears to give similar coverage but at one stop or so
wider than the Claron.

so, roughly, observing corner cut-off (interestingly, while the Claron
showed cut-off viewing through the corner of the ground glass for the above
figures, it didn't show up on the film),

f16 covers 8x10

f22 about 3/4" movement+

f32 about 1 1/2" movement+

I'll see what the test shots show when they come back.
(According to Jim Galli who tested one, it has 380mm of coverage at f22 - I
think -  and held sharpness pretty much out to the edge of that [tested by
shooting on an 11x14 focussed at infinity]. He also found it was a very
sharp lens)

The Kowa graphic is apparently the same as the Kyvitar and Computar. There
is also a WA version of it apparently, as there seem to be for many of these
process lenses. But they do come in different versions as process lenses,
some that unscrew easily and fit a shutter, other that need some work.

tim