[LargeFormat] Lenses

Jim Hemenway largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 9 16:54:57 2002

Hi Clive:

> I thought you may be an old hand..... Your point is taken about the
> potential of Ebay to deliver paper bargains. I hope that your holders
> can take the thickness of the paper.

Me too!  I'll find out when it gets here, should be within a week.

> Popped over to your web site to have a quick look at your photos -
> which are excellent btw. Korona cameras have long been a favourite of
> mine and its great to have someone on the list using a 11x14 banquet
> camera, particularly loaded with chromes!

Thanks for the compliment.  The trouble is... that 11x14 is all that I
seem to want to do now.  But it's been a bit cold lately to make me want
to do much with the big cameras, 9 F this morning.  So, back to the R8
and the 6008i until spring.

> You may find coverage information a lot more easily than testing by
> asking about your lenses here. Having said that, nothing will beat
> the real live test..... I haven't used any of the lenses you describe
> but I would guess that some of them will cover 11x14 when stopped
> right down. I use an 8x10 series 183mm Series V Protar that covers
> 8x10 with a lots of movement running at f32 and smaller (listed at
> 100 degrees coverage). It would probably cover 11x14 stopped down to
> f45.

I didn't ask because I didn't know about this list until last week.

I have the 305mm APO Kyvytar, that's one of the lenses which came with
the Korona along with a B&L Protar VII 23 1/4 inch and with a very
broken shutter.  I had it fixed last summer but am not sure that I like
it as it produces a soft and dreamy look which doesn't appeal to me. The
Kyvytar covers 11x14 but I nevertheless seem to get vignetting on the
top too often.

So, I bought a Symar-S 6.8/360 mm which covers very well and gives great
color, but my favorite right now is a Rodenstock APO-Ronar 420mm process
lens which was GIVEN to me and which I had mounted in a Copal 3
shutter.  I like it so much that I then bought a 9/300mm version of the
same lens on ebay and that, along with a Rodenstock APO Geragon 9/210mm
are the lenses which I want to test for coverage on the 11x14 before
having them mounted in shutters.

I also have a CZJ convertible Protar with a 59cm front, and a 41cm rear
element on the Kodak Master View 8x10, and am a little curious as to
whether it also has enough coverage for the 11x14.  But, they are
mounted on the odd "license plate" lensboards made for that camera and I
don't know if I really want to take it apart to try on the 11x14.

I have the 210 Ultragon which you mention below, it does cover 8x10 and
I have it in an Alphax shutter mounted for use on the 8x10. Here's a
picture taken with it:
http://www.hemenway.com/pages/8x10%20Birches%20Sumac.htm

I know that it doesn't look all that good/sharp, I'm still trying to
figure out how to present the LF stuff better on the web.

The large format pictures on my web site are about a year old... one of
these days I'll scan some of the newer shots and hope that what I've
learned about scanning in the last year will result in better looking
web images.

> The Bavarian Staeble 210 Ultragon f9 lens is a process lens and may
> cover 8x10 stopped down. The 305mm APO Kyvytar is a process lens made
> by Kowa and that will probably  cover 11x14 when stopped down. I have
> no idea about the 305mm CZJ Protar - an f9 Series 3a has 97 degrees
> coverage and will do the job. If it's an earlier version then
> possibly not!

Do you have a web site Clive?

--

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com